Monday, November 10, 2008

Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine Fall/Winter 2008 - Premiere Issue

I recently knit myself another pair of fingerless mitts out of a single skein of creamy Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn and embellished them with lazy daisies and French knots in the same yarn. They look very chic with the cream-on-cream embroidery, and I feel very chic wearing them, even if only by association because they’re “Debbie Bliss”.

So when I saw Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine's Premiere Issue in my drugstore’s magazine centre, I wondered first if it was just going to be a 100-plus page advertisement for all things Bliss, so I am guilty for practically reading the entire magazine in front of the rack before making my decision. And yes, I bought it.

The first reason I bought it? She included her own recipe for English Tea Scones. A knitting magazine with a recipe! No, it’s not Martha Stewart (thank goodness!), it was just a neat surprise. Plus product and book reviews, interviews and questions for other knitters/designers, a store profile, and… PATTERNS. Ohhh the patterns.

A series of gray patterns from silver to charcoal featuring sweaters, socks, a dress, and a great messenger bag. Another series of candy-coloured feminine sweaters all paired with girly skirts and dresses, a nice layout. Home decor patterns, kitchen decor (I must make the egg sweaters!), a needle-roll case, baby and child treats, and… a set of four, very classy, stylish, MEN’S SWEATERS!

I’m convinced that the Millford - somehow there is a typo in my copy and it was titled “Shawl Collared Sweater”, thankfully it’s changed on the Ravelry pattern link now - and the Cabled Hooded Top could cure the boyfriend/fiance “sweater curse”. I almost want a boyfriend so I can test this theory!

So happily, it’s not just one big Debbie Bliss ad, there’s a great range of my much-anticipated advertisements with bright colours, listings of yarns and shops (both brick-and-mortar and those online), and lots of other patterns to ooh and aah over.

But there is a downside. Looks like I’ll be out another nine bucks each time, but at least it’s only publishing seasonally.

No comments: